About the game
Hex: Origins is a casual puzzle game based on a complete hexagon themed colorful experience. Enjoy a refreshing, calming and original experience, which is extremely easy to pick up but hard to master as you progress in the game. Across the multitude of game modes and levels you will encounter, you must place pieces composed of anywhere from 2 to 10 and more hexagons, each using up to 6 different colors. Everything in the game is based on two simple rules.
- You can place a piece anywhere on the board with no restrictions as long as all the neighboring tiles are empty
- If one hex has a colored neighbor on the board, at least one of those neighbors needs to match its color
Building upon these simple rules, we added special board pieces and power-ups in order to create a fun and colorful experience. As long as you keep placing pieces on the board, its requirements for placing pieces change – so be careful about the order, colors and type of shapes you can use. Always plan ahead!
Hex: Origins offers you 4 different game modes, 2 available from the start, and 2 unlocked with tokens you earn while playing the game:
- Classic: a linear experience bundled up in Episodes, structured into 6 Chapters, each containing 6 Levels that you can play in 3 difficulties. Each Episode introduces new mechanics into gameplay and with each passing chapter, the difficulty is slightly raised – but so are the rewards! Fill the game board to 100% and complete the level. Try not to leave 1-hex piece empty blocks on the board, or you will be forced to use power-ups in order to complete the level.
- Flow: a linear experience similar to Classic, with the added requirement of connecting various battery pieces to light bulbs in order to power them up! The connector needs to flow through an area of a specific color in order to light them up. Carefully plan your colored ways across the board and take up the challenge! Don’t forget to fill up the board though.
- Exploration: Give up the static board and expand in any direction! Exploration maps feature a center starting point with all the colors onto which you will start expanding in any direction you want. While completing various in-game activities you will accrue exploration tokens that you can use to play a level of this game mode. You select the difficulty and length of this exploration map, but keep in mind, the higher difficulty, the better rewards! Scoring in this game mode is based on how many neighboring hex pieces of the same color you can match with each placed piece. Try to get +3 score per piece in order to secure the maximum amount of rewards.
- Treasure Hunting: On rare occasions you will find treasure map fragments. Assemble them into a map and embark on a thematic journey in order to find the hidden treasures of Hex: Origins. Always remember that X marks the spot!
- Over 800 levels of ever-increasing challenges with 3 difficulty options
- Dynamic level difficulty & no unique solutions: the moves you make always alter the possible shapes that can be placed thus making it easier or harder for yourself. As you place these pieces the game will try to generate pieces that you can use. Plan ahead carefully. Finish a level in any way possible!
- Shuffle mechanic: discard existing pieces and draw new ones in exchange for a tiny fraction of your progress bar.
- 5 power-ups that you can use to slightly alter or completely change the game board:
- Undo: cancel your last normal piece placement
- Reserve: save any piece for later use
- Bomb: place on the board to destroy adjacent hex tiles and make room for other pieces
- Colorize: place on the board to change the color of all adjacent hex tiles to any color of your choosing. Remember that this is also the only 1-hex piece in-game so use it wisely!
- Colorize shape: drop it on top of a shape that is not yet placed on board in order to uniformly color it to what you want!
- Special bonus shapes: from time to time a difficult to place piece will appear (9+ hex piece). Place it on the board and successfully finish the level and earn extra rewards.
- Complete in-game quests that range from easy to hard and get awesome rewards!
- Open treasure chests and reap the rewards while you complete any level
- Unlock custom hex piece skins. Customize your board with that extra bling!
- Customize the game experience with 9 beautiful backgrounds
- Achievements and cloud saving, leaderboards and other platform specific features
Our plans for Hex: Origins are to continue development across all platforms, integrate levels, events, game modes, customization skins and extra features as time passes by. We have put a lot of love and effort into this game, we are proud to have it released and we would like to hear from you!